Skip to main content

Subrogation calls for a car accident - no insurance and owe an outstanding amount that I cannot afford. Please help?

Los Angeles, CA |

I was in an accident 6 months ago. Although he technically hit me, I was the one who pulled up in front of him so I understand this is considered my fault. I gave him my insurance info and we parted ways. The problem is my insurance had been canceled due to the fact I hadn’t paid it. Therefore I had no insurance. I didn’t hear from anyone- no letter, no call. I was hoping it somehow went away but now I am getting calls from a subrogation company asking for 13,000! The damage was not very bad on his vehicle, nowhere near that amount in repair fees. They are calling my parents house because the car is registered under my fathers name. There is no way I can afford this. Can the amount be lowered? I really do not understand why it is so high. I don’t want them to get my dad involved.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


First and foremost: You need to get your insurance reinstated or you face possible license suspension and other consequences. Second: You need to try to negotiate a settlement and/or payments or consider other options (such as personal bankruptcy -- last resort).

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney client relationship. This is for informational purposes only. Attorney will take no action on your behalf unless and until a written retainer agreement is signed. There are strict time deadlines on filing claims and, as such, you are advised to consult with and retain an attorney immediately to file such claims timely or you will lose any right to recovery. Any testimonials or endorsements should not be construed as a guarantee, warranty or prediction of the outcome of your case.


A local attorney in your city can try to negotiate this down and get you on an affordable payment plan.


Contact a lawyer in your community for a consultation.


Since the car is registered in your father's name -- he is involved. If you do not want him to be you need to satisfy the subrogation claim or he will have to do it. A consultation with an attorney is in order.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


1. Contact an attorney
2. Hire an attorney
3. Negotiate an affordable attorney fee
4. Negotiate a payment plan before they sue you and/or your father
5. If they sue you and/or your father have your attorney contact their attorney and negotiate a pyament plan
6. If your drivers license gets suspended have your attorney request a DMV Hearing to reverse the suspension
7. I have handled these types of situations before, you are welcome to call me

310 927 2252


Unfortunately, this is the biggest nightmare when you drive without insurance. The next being a license suspension from the DMV . The license suspension can usually be modified to a restriction. As for the outstanding damage, both you and your Dad ate on the hook. The best bet is to negotiate a lump sum buy out where you offer say 50 % of the debt, and see if they bite at it. If not you could start a monthly payment plan for the full amount. The creditor would rather take a lump sum. An attorney could negotiate your options, but you will most likely have to compensate him. Last option ,let them get a judgment against you in the next few years , and then file bankruptcy along with any other debts. This obviously impacts your credit.


Your father is involved as a matter of law since he is the registered owner. If its your car get your dad off the registration (won't help for this matter). Have Subro give you a copy of the repair bill, pictures and proof of payment for the repairs. Verify the damage was the same as in the accident and not enhanced for non-related items. Negotiate a payment plan.

Avvo personal injury email series

Sign up to receive a 3-part series of useful information and advice about personal injury law.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer