Skip to main content

Student who is out of status since past 1 year marring a green card holder.

Chicago, IL |

My girlfriend became out of status a year ago and I am a Green card holder at the moment. Does it help her in any ways if we both get married AND can we file for the I-130 after marriage...
please suggest me something . Urgent!!!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


An I-130 does not change her status, but you can get married and file now, and once you naturalize she can file to adjust.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.



But would that help her out from being deported or from consequences as such?


You can marry and when you become a citizen, provided she remains here until then, you can file for her adjustment of status. You really need to talk in person with an immigration attorney to have the process explained in the detail it deserves, however.

Gunda J. Brost Brost Law Office This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.


No, your plan would not work legally as a lapsed status would prevent for AOS stateside.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professionally competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide a competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions expressed are general in nature, and may not apply to specific, factual or legal circumstances related to one's present legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in that State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive comprehensive legal assistance before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer