Skip to main content

Student visa

Washington, DC |
Attorney answers 4


Student visas are non-immigrant visas and do not lead to a green card. You would need to consult with an Immigration attorney so that your immigration history may be evaluated to assess whether you have other options.

[This answer is for general purposes only; it does not constitute advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.]


A student visa in and of itself does not lead to a green card. Consult with an attorney to see if family, employment, or another factor may allow you to file for it.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104


I agree with my colleagues. A student visa is not a path to a green card. You might qualify under a family petition, employment, or some other pathway to permanent resident status. You should consult with an experienced immigration attorney about your case.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.


There is no such thing as "getting a green card" while you're on a student visa. There might be other paths to green card, but the student visa is a non-immigrant visa. If you want to discuss your options, you should at least consult with an immigration attorney, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to evaluate your background and future plans. Only then any of us can make an informed recommendation about the right path to green card.

The statement above does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is intended as general information only and it is not a substitute for legal advice. You should consult with a licensed attorney to discuss the specific facts and circumstances of your case.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer