Skip to main content

Stop immigrant visa process

Miami, FL |

HI, I am the sponsor of a person that will soon have an interview at the US embassy in Ecuador and get his immigrant visa, but I've found out some things about this person and I no longer want to be his sponsor. How can I stop the process? will the visa be denied if I cancel my sponsorship?

I should also mention that the person who filed the application is a disabled person who has no job and therefore no economic resources to be able to sponsor her son (over 18yrs) so I am the only sponsor. thank you

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


It may be difficult for you to withdraw your Affidavit of Support. You would need to contact the National Visa Center and have the NVC case number and other information ready to give the person handling your call, and you may not have this information. If you don't, you can try calling anyway and explain that you want to withdraw the I-864 for this person; you shouldn't need to give a reason, other than you changed your mind. The telephone number for the NVC is (603)334-0700.

Good luck.

This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice. A consultation with an experienced attorney is always the best way to go.


Since the individual is already being schedule for the interview, this means that you as a sponsor, have already signed and submitted all of the required documentation for visa processing. The only way for you to now notify immigration of your intent to withdraw your sponsorship, is to contact the NVC with the case information, directly.

Contact immigration lawyer Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey, for a consultation about your immigration case. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.


That depends on whether this late in the process, the Department of State allows you to withdraw the Affidavit of Support.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


You should first advise the I-130 petitioner (the person who most likely asked you to be the Joint Sponsor "JS") of your wish to withdraw your affidavit of support so that the I130 petitioner can find an alternative JS and then at that time, having all new docs' required duly assembled, they can be sent to the NVC w/ hopes that the NVC will accept them and send them to the Embassy in Ecuador - this may cause a change in the interview date, but hopefully it will not result in the denial of the immigrant visa. If you proceed correctly, your withdrawal and a JS replacement should not result in the immigrant visa denial. Consular processes are complex and lenghty - if this is done properly you will not frustrate the purpose of both the petitioner and the beneficiary in Ecuador.

This answer does not constitute specific legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. Should you wish the analysis of the specific facts of your case, kindly contact our office to schedule a consultation. Nogueira Morton P.L. 888-442-7252.