Skip to main content

Stolen vehicle or unauthorized use?

Goldsboro, NC |

The tags and title were registered to me. When my ex and I were breaking up he said he was not giving me the car back nor the title ( it was in the glove compartment) we saw each other for the last time in January which ended with assault on female charge. He was found guilty. I have no idea where the car is and have not attempted recovery as I didn't want to anger him in fear of his actions. I am even unsure if I even still own the car as it is time for taxes to be paid and I have no received a bill. I have not given permission to sell. What are my options?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


If you are afraid of this man, you might need to look into a Domestic Violence Protective Order. If you haven't signed the title over to him, then the vehicle is still yours. I'd see if the sheriff is able to escort you to his home to reclaim your property. If the vehicle isn't there, it might be time to consult a local attorney and figure out what this is worth to you. You could hire a private investigator to track down where this vehicle went, and then use the civil court system to get either your vehicle back or the value of it back, but that might cost you more than the car is worth. Or maybe you can just cut your losses and move on? If he has forged your name on the title and sold it, and you discover that, then that is a matter to report to the police and to your insurance company. I hope you are able to move forward and stay safe.

This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended to form a client/lawyer relationship. You can contact me for a limited telephone consultation or an email consultation at my website,, which is listed below. In addition to operating my own firm, I also work for North Carolina Prisoner Legal Services, Inc., a non-profit law firm which exists to protect the rights of prisoners in the custody of the state of North Carolina. If a loved one is in prison in North Carolina, advise the inmate that they may write to North Carolina Prisoner Legal Services, Inc. NCPLS will review their case at no cost and will litigate at no cost to the inmate if the case meets NCPLS' standards. NCPLS can also provide some assistance to inmates seeking to represent themselves. I am also available for cases that do not deal with inmates incarcerated in North Carolina's jails and prisons.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer