Skip to main content

Stole :/

Cornelius, OR |

Stole a hairbrush at Claire's, only got caught cause the girl that worked there hated me from high school, she told me if i give it to her she wouldn't call the cops, she did anyway and now Im 18 and live on my own and are going to court, never been in any legal trouble before.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You'll get a public defender appointed if you can't afford one. Try to get a diversion program to avoid a conviction. Worse case scenario is likely probation, not jail.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia


First, do not post details including confessions in public forums. Who knows what problems the State might have with the case but those problems get diminished every time you confess. You should either retain an attorney or ask for a court appointed attorney when you go to court. They will be able to review the evidence and advise you the best course of action going forward - to fight the case or resolve it. Counsel is right about the possibility of a diversion program to keep this off your record. That would need to be followed up by an expungement of the arrest/citation process. Breathe a little bit, be deliberate and ask for an attorney. Best of luck to you!

We are on the internet here, chatting on a major website. There is no attorney-client relationship formed through the asking and answering of general questions - I do not become your attorney unless we sign an agreement on representation after a consultation. It is not a substitute for legal advice in a classic setting, most everyone who asks questions on here should consult with a good attorney privately to get more specific and complete legal advice. These answers are educational and meant to give people one perspective on a direction out of their situation. Occasionally, people ask questions that involve the laws of States I am not licensed to practice in - it should be known that I am licensed in Oregon and the Federal District Court for Oregon - any answers to those questions is absolutely given as a layperson attempting to help another layperson along. For a consultation, contact my office at 541-245-9781.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer