Skip to main content

Stipulation and order on order to show cause in family law divorce cases. Can you file a motion for contempt of court?

Lake Elsinore, CA |

The sale of a company truck that I put a down payment from my separate property money was to be deposited into the Respondent's attorney's trust account per the stipulation and order on order to show cause. The Respondent never deposited the money into the trust account. Can you file a motion for contempt of court?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


yes, anytime time there is a specific order, the person had proper notice of that order, and there is a willful violation of that order, contempt is proper. However keep in mind contempt can be a lengthy, very legally technical and expensive process and in the end it doesn't necessarily mean you get the result you want. It just means Respondent may be punished. There may be a better and more productive way to approach it through filing a request for order with a thoughtful request that actually ends with the result you are looking for.


I quite agree with my colleague. But you did leave out a fact or two. The Respondent cannot deposit money into the attorney's trust account. he can fail to provide it to the attorney. If that is what happened t he attorney needs to be the one to hold his client accountable.

You do not describe the facts that make you certain the sale took place, or the time that has passed (assuming there was a sale,)

You need to either have an attorney or talk to the one you do have.

All of Ms. Straus’ responses to questions posted on Avvo are intended as helpful information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are not to be relied upon as a full or complete legal opinion. It may not be what you wished to hear, and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Straus has been licensed to practice law in California for 30 years. Ms. Straus provides “unbundled” services if you need specific assistance with a specific issue. I can be contacted if you put my name or Bar number, 110028, in the State Bar web site, or you can find me on LinkedIn or Google. Goggle E. Carroll Straus. If I seem right, proceed accordingly.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer