Still waiting for my money

New York, NY |

I agreed a settlement for a lease buyout 8 months ago, and then my lawyer sent me another bill after that and I queried these very high ambiguous charges. He said this is charge for work that they do, no further details. I queried it again but he is not answering me or my questions about the unexplained charges and he still has my settlement money after all this time. I have no signed the release form because of this crazy final bill we cannot agree on.

If you have not signed the release then you have not triggered your adversary's obligation to pay the settlement.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 17 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

thanks. Once I sign he said he will release the remainder of my settlement minus his final bill ! So once i sign I agree to pay the final charges.

Until the release is signed, there will be no settlement money coming. Ask for an itemized statement from the attorney and I'm assuming you signed an attorney-client contract. Compare it to the statement.

Attorneys on Avvo donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.

Makes sense that they can't release anything to me. But he is not even itemizing the statement or addressing any billing queries I have made.

Lee Alan Thompson

Lee Alan Thompson

Demand it. I send out a full itemization of all work upon request. I view it as a violation of ethics not to send it because the agreement people sign with me say I will and, I know many disciplinary complaints are not because of doing something, but are actually fee disputes. But in Ohio, Disciplinary Counsel has to follow through on all complaints. I would think New York is similar.

Ok thank you. I have demanded a reply with details on my bill very explicitly in writing, they ignored me, then finally replied to call them. I want my queries answered in writing and not be bullied over a phone call. Should I go straight to arbitration? Not sure if they are a waste of time or not in the state of NY. My attorney laughed off a number of my suggestions during my case with regard to using Departments such as Rent Board, etc.

Lee Alan Thompson

Lee Alan Thompson

Hopefully that will work. I'm not in a position to be able to advise you on the arbitration. A legal decision that requires an answer from a NY attorney.

OK many thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it. This is almost as bad as fighting the landlord!

Lee Alan Thompson

Lee Alan Thompson

lol You're welcome

You can query and query until you are blue in the face, but the release would need to be signed if you want a settlement.

Even if he has put in a statement once I sign a release he will automatically deduct his charges?