Skip to main content

Stepparent adoption with me relinquishing my rights.

Coeur D Alene, ID |

I am not the biological father, but I am the one that has been paying the child support for over 6 years. My ex wife's husband that she has been married to for over 4 years would like to adopt my ex's daughter and I said ok. She has never wanted a relationship with me and all the mother wants is my money so I said ok. How would we go about getting this all started in the state of Idaho. I would like to get this done and over with as quickly as possible to spare everyone the pain of a long drawn out ordeal.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Typically the petition for adoption is accompanied by a petition for termination of parental rights. You are entitled to service of both, and the least costly response would be to do nothing. After 20 says default can be taken. A more proactive, albeit costlier, approach is to retain counsel to prepare a voluntary relinquishment which must be signed in front of a Magistrate. That document can then be filed with the petition for adoption and you would not need to be served with process.

Best wishes for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer