Skip to main content

STEM major immigration

New York, NY |

I am a Canadian PR. I completed a master degree in Animation in Canada. I want to immigrate to US. I have learned about that the STEM major students are given some favorable "treatment" on immigration through work. My questions are:
1. Is Animation or Special effect considered STEM for immigration purpose? (PS. I found this list on USCIS website.
2. I guess the degree I completed in Canada wont make me qualify for the US STEM immigration benefits. If I come to a graduate school in US, and get a MS degree in special effect, will that make me qualify then?
3. What exactly the STEM graduate benefits are for immigration? I have heard about 17 months time for landing a job? Anything else?
4. Is there any better way for immigration?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Currently the only difference a STEM degree makes is if one graduated with that degree in the US. In that case, they can extend their optional practical training.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


Animation is not a STEM field Currently, the only benefits of STEM majors are 17 month OPT extensions.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


You need to be in the US to qualify for any benefits. if you would like to learn about possible ways of immigrating to the US, consult with an Immigration attorney over the phone or Skype.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney Blog:

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer