Statute of limitations on collection of SBA loan on failed business

San Diego, CA |

My business failed in 2008 and my SBA loan went into default. I have made no payments since 2008, they have not made any collection efforts. When I got the loan, they took a "third position" on my house. Now I want to sell my house. Has the statute of limitations run out on collection of the loan??? How can I get the loan off my title??

Marc

The statute of limitation applies to the SBA's legal right to sue and get judgment on the unpaid loan. The lien remain on your house and they have the right to enforce the lien. The SBA can foreclose or negotiate a payment through escrow.

First, the firm is a debt relief agency according to the U.S. Bankruptcy Code. We help people file for bankruptcy. We also do other stuff and we do it well, but Congress wants me to post this notice. Second, nothing on this site is legal advice. You are not my client unless you enter into a written agreement signed by you and me.

Your loan is secured by your interest in the house. It is unlikely the statute of limitations has run out on an amortized home loan especially without any collection efforts. In any event, it will not prevent the lender from recovering the full amount due on the note upon sale of the property. In short, you cannot "get the loan off title."

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Disclaimer: The materials provided below are informational and should not be relied upon as legal advice.

In order to remove the SBA's deed of trust (TD) from your property's title, you need to prove you have paid it off. The statute of limitations to sue on a breach of a written contract in California is within four years after the date of the breach. However, as my colleagues properly point out, the running of this statute of limitation does not invalidate the TD lien, nor does is affect the TD holder's power of sale. Take a look at Section 882.020 of the California Code of Civil Procedure at the link below. Be sure to consult your own attorney to protect your legal rights.

Robin Mashal

Robin Mashal

Avvo.com allows you to select a "best answer" for your question. After reviewing all answers, if you feel I provided you the best answers, please give me that vote.