STATUE OF LIMITATIONS A CHILD CAN FILE FOR PATERNITY IN CT AND CAN MY ASSETS AND INCOME BE USED TO CALCULATE BACK OWED SUPPORT?

Hartford, CT |

My fiance has an estranged child living and born in CT. His name is not on birth certificate. When the child was 1 the mother told him to stay away. Can my assets and income be used to calculate any backed owed support should he and I ever marry? How far back can that go? Can I guard against being subject to any legal action should that day ever come where paternity is established via a prenuptial agreement? We have 2 children together and I want to protect their having to share my assets with this estranged child. I have my own investments and property all in my name at this point. We live in MA.

This is complex. If your fiancé wants a relationship with this child he should speak to local counsel.

The above answer does not constitute an attorney client relationship and/ or retention of counsel. This answer is based upon the facts presented and may change if additional information is provided. The rules of the Bar for New York State may require me to advise that this could be construed as attorney advertisement.

Whether or not he wants to pursue a relationship is up to him. My question was how to protect my own real estate and assets against having to give this estranged child anything as I have the financial interests of my own two blood children to protect should he and I decide to marry.

Virginia Giselle Alvarez

Virginia Giselle Alvarez

Your fiancé needs to make that determination prior to any of those questions being able to be answered. If that is not your child your not the one supporting him. This is something he should sit down with an attor ey to discuss.

Exactly. I just want to keep all of the assests that I have acquired and worked for separate from this situation as I don't want my children to have to give up anything to this estranged child. I will consult a CT lawyer to do a prenuptial agreement and just keep all of my finances separate and all of my real estate and assets in my name as they are now to guard against any paternity actions that may be filed in the future.

Virginia Giselle Alvarez

Virginia Giselle Alvarez

Pre nips are always a good idea when bringing assets into a marriage. I wish you luck. If you found this helpful I would appreciate your checking that button on this answer. Best of luck