Skip to main content

Static-99 Risk Assessments for Sex Offender's

Irvine, CA |

I was reading that in January 1, 2012 all sex offenders have to get a static-99 risk assessment. I was arrested in 1998 and never got a static-99, but people who got arrested after 2006 had a static-99 from there probation dept. I called my probation Dept and the local police dept about how I can get a static-99 and I am getting the run around. Do I need to get a lawyer or should I try harder?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Your question shows why people should never talk to the police without an attorney present.

It sounds like you're talking about a change to Penal Code 290.46, which allows people convicted of certain sex offenses to request removal from the California sex offenders website. You would only be required to submit a Static-99 -- which is used to determine the likelihood that you will commit sex offenses in the future -- if you make that sort of application.

You should NEVER volunteer information to law enforcement about your offense, except for the basic information required to register as a sex offender.


Beginning January 1, 2012, a registered sex offender will not be removed from the Megan's Law website unless a State-Authorized Risk Assessment Tool for Sex Offenders (SARATSO) deems the individual a "risk level of low or moderate-low." An attorney can help you apply for removal from the website, including the help of an expert qualified to conduct the SARATSO if you wait until next year for relief.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer