State of mind exception in criminal trials in california

Santa Clara, CA |

This one is quite complex. Apparently it seems so random that the DA can sneak anything using this BS exception? What kind of arguments are used to justify the then state of mind and what is a counter defense for it? This is so generic. State of mind can be randomly used apparently for anything that DA wants to get in. Isn't it?

This is an evidentiary question best specifically posed to your lawyer in your case. Don't post any facts here, but generally yes, state of mind is an amorphous concept.

Courts are very specific in their understanding of the state of mind exception for evidence that is otherwise inadmissible. If the defendant's state of mind is not relevant, and often it isn't, then the evidence will not be admitted. If the evidence proffered on that basis doesn't tend in reason to illuminate the defendant's state of mind, then the evidence wont be admitted.

What may seem amorphous and indistinct to the person who does not deal with the concept on a daily basis may seem very clear and not the least random or meaningless to a judge who hears trial testimony and applies the evidence code to proffered evidence all day long every day.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

When a person's state of mind is relevant, then statements can be introduced not for the truth of the actual statement but to show that persons state of mind. There are many crimes that have an intent requirement. So if I person says "I am going to kill you" and then stabs that same person, you can infer that his intent was to kill the person. There are other situations where a persons state of mind is relevant and this exception would apply.