Skip to main content

Startup on an H4 visa?

Sunnyvale, CA |

1) Is it allowed for H4 holders to actively work in their company if all profits go back to further invest in the company?
2) Are H4 holders allowed to collect funds from investors or crowdfunding sites to cover the company's start-up expenses?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


H4s are not allowed to work.

Business Immigration Attorney. For H, L, J, EB5s, PERM and EB1/2/3 Petitions. Call 800-688-7892 or visit Law Office of Anu Gupta. The advice suggested here is for general information only and not to be construed as legal advice.


H-4s cannot work whether paid or unpaid.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.



NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


Work is work. The fact that one is not paid does not mean is not working.

An H-4 can certainly take steps to establish a business. Working in the business is another story. There are fine lines that you need to make sure you don't cross. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can review your ideas and advise you the best way to proceed.

While this answer is provided by a Florida Bar Certified Expert in Immigration and Nationality Law, it is for general information purposes only and an attorney/client relationship is neither intended nor created. You should seek out qualified counsel to review your case and provide you with advice specific to your situation. Call +1-561-478-5353 to schedule a consultation with Mr. Devore.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer