Skip to main content

Starting a company on H4 Visa

Vancouver, WA |

I am on H4 Visa. I want to start an Information technology company mostly a C-Corp as my visa status doesnt allow me to salary. I will be a passive investor and work will monitored by people from India. Is it legal. Also advise needed on choosing attorney. what kind of attorney do i need to start with.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


While on an H-4 visa that doesn't allow you to work or be employed you can nevertheless set up a business entity, just like you are allowed to invest in the stock or futures market, but will not be allowed to work in it. You are, however, allowed to make others work and supervise and direct their activities. You need a transactional, business attorney. You can find one in WA by selecting the "Find a Lawyer" option on Avvo located on top of this page (second from left.)

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


I agree with Mr. Bahar. If it's more like owning stocks, and be truly passive, sure. Talk with business attorneys in Washington State. Good luck with your venture.


No, don't do it.

No, don't do it.

Talk to an attorney (many of us use Skype) to learn why you should NOT DO IT.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- -- -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


You are permitted to own a business on H-4. However, the line between passive investment and unauthorized work can become very thin. Consult with an immigration attorney if you are going forward with the investment/business so you can minimize the risk of the business ownership affecting your future US immigration status.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer