Skip to main content

SSI over payment

Ellensburg, WA |

I recived a 12,000 check from SSI when i got it i called and talked to my worker who said no its back that they owed me i went over it several times they made it clear that it was mine so now 3 month later i get an over payment notice i filed for a reconsideration and have a apointment on the 10th are they going to take my tax return im a single mother of two and full time student and work part time please help

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

You have filed an "appeal" of the overpayment but you also need to file for a "waiver" of the overpayment. Since you did receive the money the appeal may not do you any good. But even if you erroneously received the money a "waiver" may save you if (1) you now cannot pay back the $12,000 and (2) the SS rep says you were entiled a mongh

This response is meant to be information only and should not be considered to be legal advice. This information is not meant and should not be construed to be the formation of an attorney client relationship. I practice Virginia Workers compensation law and Social Security Disability law.



i have a apointment tomarow and am taking my x husband as i dont understand all this i did a notice of reconsideration so now i should do a waiver is that something i can get on line and fill out


Contact local experienced Social Security counsel. you may be entitled to waiver of the overpayment if you can prove that you were not at fault and repaying would be a hardship. In the alternative, you are entitled to have collection limited to modest payments from future benefits.

Best wishes for a favorable outcome, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.



so will they take my tax return my apointments on the 10th and im filling next week


You may want to talk to an attorney in your area so you can review the specific facts with counsel. If you do not have an attorney, there are a number of good attorneys in your area, some of whom you can find here on Avvo. You may also contact your local city, county or state bar association to see if they have a lawyer referral program, or you may contact your local legal aid office if you cannot afford an attorney.

You may also contact the National Organization of Social Security Claimants' Representatives (NOSSCR) for the name and email address or telephone number of attorneys in your area. The telephone number for the lawyer referral service of NOSSCR is 1-800-431-2804. NOSSCR's website is

In addition, you can find a Board certified specialist in Social Security by contacting the National Board of Trial Advocacy. They evaluate lawyers (independently) in many types of claims and require extensive experience and testing before a lawyer is certified. They have a section specifically for Social Security: The National Board of Social Security Disability Advocacy, Divisions of the National Board of Legal Specialty Certification.

Their link is:

You may also contact NADR (National Association of Disability Representatives) – automated Telephone Referral System at 1-800-747-6131.

Most attorneys who do any amount of Social Security work are members of NOSSCR and provide a free initial consultation. In any event, no attorney may charge a fee for work on a social security claim until it has been approved by Social Security. The fee limit is a maximum of 25% of past due or back due benefits you are owed, and many lawyers charge less than the full 25%, and the money is not paid until your claim has been approved.

I hope this information helps. Good luck to you!
Please remember to designate a best answer to your question.

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.