Skip to main content

SSDI lump sum payment and child support enforcement question......

Woonsocket, RI |

I live in Rhode Island and my Ex owes me 18,000.00 in back child support for his two children. He has recently been approved to start receiving SSDI and is expecting a lump sum payment in the very near future. The court has told him that he cannot cash the check and there is a "restraining order"? I know they will take some of it for back support but how much? I've been reading for hours online and find amounts ranging from 15%-100%. Can anyone help?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Thank you for your inquiry. The SSDI question is a tricky one as normally SSDI payments are not eligible for child support. However, there may be other avenues for you to attack in terms of the back child support, including filing a Motion to Adjudge in Contempt; administrative offset programs, and intercepting his tax refund.

If you would like to discuss your case with a child support attorney please feel free to call our office. We offer a free one hour office consultation.

Law Office of Joseph M. Rameaka

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer