Skip to main content

Spouse remarried in NJ. never got divorce papers.doesn't answer my letters requesting divorce papers. No record in NY/NJ

Yonkers, NY |

I can't get him to answer and send me divorce papers; investigator didn't locate any record in NY or NJ. He married in Peru. What do I do to get my divorce legal.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Did you ever sign divorce papers? If you are divorced you should be able to get the judgment in the court where the case was file. Unless you got divorced, you spouce is likely guilty of bigomy and can be arrested.

The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


The first thing to do is find out if you already are divorced...and, if so, where and when that took place. Then you can determine whether you need to actually make any filings.

Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.


You should commence your own divorce case. If you have no evidence he got divorced, then start your own & get him served. Unless he answers your divorce complaint by producing a valid judgment of divorce received elsewhere, then you may proceed with yours. Schedule a consult with a Westchester Divorce attorney for a full assessment.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.