Skip to main content

Spouse on LOA not paying support ordered, seeking contempt question

Everett, WA |

Spouse took voluntary LOA claiming its because of separation and not seeing kids when he wants. As a result child support not being paid, never has as he took same time it was ordered. If I seek contempt how will his refusal to work look to the court? He has a very well paid job and has been off for months. He has been playing paintball and otherwise having a great time playing. Yet claims he is depressed and its between him and his dr. He owes a great deal in back support and has told me to get a job and he would watch kids.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


He will be found in contempt of court and a judgment entered for back child support. The defenses to a contempt action are enumerated in the case law and the facts you have shared do not qualify as a defense.

The information is for general information purposes only. Nothing stated above should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation.



In situation such as this would it be reasonable to ask for judge to order him back to work or is this even possible?