Skip to main content

Speeding ticket for CA Driving license in IL

Los Angeles, CA |

I have a California license and i was given a speeding ticket by a cop in Dupage County , IL.He told me that I don't need to appear in court and can pay ticket online.He told me that it will not appear on my record in California. Is it correct?
Second i was told me to pay within 15 days to avoid court appearance but my ticket information will be available only after 12-13 days on their website. This is my first offense in IL or any other state in US.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


It might still appear on your record. But what is cost of fighting it? Call an attorney in Dupage County, Ill, or inquire from their DMV or ours.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced 39+ yrs. I can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practicein Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. I give only appointments over the phone., these services do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend as I do not believe in pulling punches or sugar coating the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ and I would appreciate it if you feel like marking my answers helpful or best. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are court documents , less expensive.


The only way you could find out if it will appear on your record in California is to find out if IL reports it to CA. You could try contacting the court in IL and ask them if they file abstracts of traffic convictions on out-of-state drivers with their DMV. If so, it will likely make its way back to California. If not, then ask if they report to out-of-state DMV's. If not, then it has no way of getting back to California.

The opinions rendered herein are based on general principles of law. Laws vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction and there are often numerous factors which can render advice or an opinion inapplicable. You should NOT make any decisions about the handling of a legal matter without first directly consulting with an attorney about the particulars of your case.


Contact the IL DMV and ask if they will report it to CA DMV


Under the Driver License Compact, 45 states and D.C. participate in an interstate compact to share information on moving traffic violations. IL and CA are both participants. Since you stated your offense is speeding in IL and CA has a similar offense, the violation would likely go on your driving record. This could also be in the form of points and increased insurance costs. I suggest you consult a Dupage county attorney to determine if it is worth the cost to fight the ticket. Also, feel free to mark answers as helpful as my colleagues and I donate our time on this website. I wish you the best of luck.

The above communication is for general informational purposes only. It does NOT constitute legal advice and SHOULD NOT be used or relied upon as such. Moreover, the above communication does not create an attorney-client relationship between Oleson Law and/or Attorney Christina Oleson and any other person or entity. Legal representation by Oleson Law and/or Attorney Christina Oleson is available, but shall be set forth specifically in a separate written fee agreement signed by the parties.



Thanks. Paid the ticket online. They have something called "under judiciary supervision" without court appearance. I think that helps in some extent

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer