Skip to main content

Son and girl fiend was in a motorcycle accident. a light pole down and line hanging across road. what do they need to do?

Pensacola, FL |

someone had hit a street light pole and left and my son came alone on his motorcycle and ran into line with bike with my son and his girlfriend on it .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6

Best Answer

First off, I hope their injuries are not traumatic and they are okay. Thoughts are with them.

This is a serious matter and I urge you to contact an attorney immediately. This involves seven potential claims. Your son and his girlfriend each have a claim against the person who knocked the pole and line down. They also each have a potential claim against the owner of that vehicle. They also may have a claim against the City or County depending on where it happened or their agent, the power company. Additionally, your son could be sued by his girlfriend. There's also an 8th possible claim against the adjoining property owner but that's not likely. Because of the nature of the claim, and governmental immunity from suit, these claims should be presented and preserved as soon as practical. It will not resolve until they have recovered to maximum medical improvement as they only get one shot at recovery. Motorcycle cases present unique circumstances as do sovereign cases. Value depends on medical damages, any prior injuries and how the injuries heal.

We'd like to assist you with this. John is from the Mobile / Pensacola area and has a network of local attorneys there who know this type of case as well. Some sovereign cases even require petition of the legislature to get proper recovery. Feel free to email John at or call 1-800-6-know-law. We answer calls 24/7 and represent people with excellent attorneys all over the State. Please review for more details about us.

Please CLICK the button if I HELPED or was BEST ANSWER. We also answer your questions on facebook-, on twitter- @athleticslawyer and our radio show, Courts & Sports, on WOKV. Please like or follow us. No attorney-client relationship is established and responses here are general first impressions. You should consult with a lawyer about your problems. More about our firm is located at


They need to contact a lawyer in their area right away who understands personal injury cases. I am not licensed in Florida but know there are many great PI lawyers who can help your loved ones get the justice owing to them. As a general rule, insurance companies are represented by lawyers. Your loved ones. Should be as well. Good luck!


Your sonand his girlfriend need to consult with a Florida licensed personal injury attorney who is familiar with motorcycle cases. You can visit for more information.

The above is general advice regarding applicable state law. It does not create an attorney-client relationship in any specific case.


I'm sorry to hear this and hope they are not hurt too badly. In addition to the recommendations about a possible claim against the person who knocked down the pole, there could be a claim against the governmental entity if they had reasonable notice of the pole being down if they had an opportunity to warn about it and/or get it repaired.


You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on dealing with many of the issues you are now facing.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.


When a local Florida attorney is contacted, also explore the issue of any uninsured motorist coverage available in either your son's household or his girlfriend's household. Good Luck

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer