Skip to main content

Someone transferred my property deeds into their name. How can I get it back.

Dallas, TX |
Attorney answers 6

Best Answer

You need to hire a lawyer; a civil litigator who has handled real estate cases. He will have to sue the individual in a lawsuit to quiet title, and a slander of title claim. Hopefully the individual who did this is collectible, and maybe your attorney will be able to recover all or part of what it is going to cost you.

No lawyer-client relationship exists. This answer is intended for discussion purposes only. You must obtain legal advice from your own attorney.


The deeds would be a forgery. To protect yourself, hire an attorney immediately. File suit.. File a Lis Pendens.


I would report the issue to the police - it is a theft. I would then hire a civil litigator with real estate experience to set aside the transfers before the person sells to an innocent third party (which transfer you may not be able to undo).

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.


I agree with the other answers and would only add that you should also inform the County Clerk for the county where the deed was recorded of the issue. The filing of a fraudulent instrument in the property records is a crime.

If this response was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. The response provided herein is for informational purposes only and is not intended as legal advice, nor does it establish or intend to establish an attorney-client relationship. You should always speak with a licensed attorney regarding your legal rights before taking or not taking any particular action. In certain jurisdictions, this response may be considered an advertisement. In such circumstance, Kevin M. Koel is responsible for all content stated in the response. Kevin M. Koel is not certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization for any particular practice area, nor does Kevin M. Koel claim specialized knowledge in any practice area.

Kevin Matthew Koel

Kevin Matthew Koel


Also, you should probably file an affidavit in the property records as soon as possible to put third parties on notice of your claim to the property. You will need to have a property description, your name, and the name of the fraudulent grantee.


The first call you should make should be to the District Attorney.


Was fraud involved? You can probably hire an attorney to draft a demand letter in order to obtain a general warranty deed conveying the property back to you. If he/she/they will not cooperate, you will probably have to file suit. Where county is the property located?

This answer or the communication exchanged with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form or forum.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer