Skip to main content

Someone opened a facebook account under my name. Can I take legal action?

King, NC |

The account was started 4/10 using my name and address (although they used the wrong city, as I live right on the border of two cities). The information used on the page is embarassing and meant to cause harm to my character. It is obvious that this person knows me because they have accepted 40 requests for friends of people I know from high school, military, WORK, and family. Also, they have taken pictures of my family (mostly my kids) from the shared pictures on the pages of accepted friends. I have only found out recently because a family member confronted me about my "rude comments" that she thought I had made on her page. I have never opened up a facebook page of my own, as I am a private person. How can I find out who is ruining my reputation and take leagal action?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Contact Facebook so they can close the account. Then file a complaint with the police. Next contact and consult an attorney as to the actual damages this caused you.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer