Skip to main content

Someone made up a fake ad on craigslist about me, saying I would perform sexual favors and she gave out my address.

Leesville, LA |

My address and phone number was given out to random men. The men sent me a text saying they were on the way over. I explained that i did not make the ad, and I have proof who posted it. She says I can't prove it was her, and she deleted the ad. Can I still press charges on her? It all came from her IP address, so can that be traced also? And she says untrue, disgusting things about me on social media. Can I also sue her for defamation or libel?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Yes, you could sue for defamation and libel. However, law suits are expensive propositions in terms of time, money and heartache.

Since the ad has been deleted you are probably best served to just move on.

Andrew M. Jaffe
Attorney at Law
(330) 666-5026

This post is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice specific to you. This general information is not a substitute for the advice of an attorney in your jurisdiction. The attorney client relationship is not established by this post.


You can sue her, but lawsuits are expensive and you must prove damages. Not only that, to make it worthwhile she must have money to collect if you win.

David A. Mallen offers answers on Avvo for general information only. This offer of free, general answers is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. If you need specific advice regarding your legal question, you should consult an attorney confidentially. Many experienced California labor and employment attorneys, including David A. Mallen offer no-risk legal consultations to employers and employees at no charge. David A. Mallen is licensed to practice law before all state and federal courts in California, as well as the California Labor Commissioner and the California Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board. Failure to take legal action within the time periods prescribed by law could result in the loss of important legal rights and remedies.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer