Skip to main content

Someone hit my uninsured parked car . The guy who hit it didn't have a license , it wasn't his car . What do i do ?

Chicago, IL |

It was his girlfriends mothers car . The next day when i arrived , i met with the daughter and father . Spoke to the mother ( owner ) on the phone . She asked a few questions and gave me her information . I filed a police report , and a claim against her insurer . Have pictures and witnesses to say i was hit . I wasn't there when the accident happened . And i was told the driver walked away after he locked the car up . which means he left the site . Now shes saying she didn't know the daughter had the car . Which she never reported stolen . She never filed a police report about the accident or her daughter taking the car . Its 4 days later and now she wants my information . My car was parked , with no insurance . Am i entitled to payment or is it a loss ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


Hire an attorney , or file a lawsuit against the driver, the girlfriend, and the girlfriend's mom. Since the story is changing, you should consider hiring an attorney.

I am licensed in California, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or California law, which may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Answers posted to Avvo are for general information only. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. Every case depends is fact dependent, and responses are limited to and is based on the information you posted. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.


Yes. You're definitely entitled to the repair costs. Hire a lawyer to,protect your interests.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at


Hire a lawyer. The other owner's carrier may try to decline liability. Let your lawyer handle it. You are entitled to reimbursement.


This is why it is crucial, and the law, to be insured; because jerks who hit parked cars often are uninsured, drive uninsured cars, or cars insured by substandard carriers who play games.

You may want to either retain a lawyer or file a small claims suit. Either way, the owner's carrier may deny coverage.

Good luck

Stephen L. Hoffman
Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
Chicago, IL

This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.


First, get insurance if this is an operable vehicle. After you're insured, take the car to a reputable body shop and get a quote for repairs. DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR UNINSURED. Send this quote to the owner's insurance, and demand payment for this amount. You may also be entitled to compensation for the loss of use of this vehicle, at the rate of what a rental car would cost you from the time of the accident until the time they agree to pay for your repairs, so you can also ask for a reasonable amount for loss of use.

I generally agree with the other lawyers on the site, you should try to hire a local attorney if you can afford to do so.

Best of luck!


Yes, retain a local lawyer to investigate.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

Avvo personal injury email series

Sign up to receive a 3-part series of useful information and advice about personal injury law.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer