Skip to main content

Some1 I knw has been sent a summons to appear in MC for Theft of over 1k$. What is the procedure?

East Hanover, NJ |

This is there 2nd time - 1st case was disposed and fines paid in the South.
They cannot afford a lawyer out of pocket this time around.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


If the theft is really for over $1000 your friend likely will have to appear in the Municipal Court. At that point since the amount alleged to be stolen is over $1000 the case will likely be transferred to the Superior Court for the Prosecutor to review if the case should be indicted or should be remanded back to Municipal Court. If he can not afford a lawyer he can apply for the Public Defender to represent him.

If your friend would like to speak further please have him contact me.


The process is to get a lawyer. Private lawyer would be best. If not, a public defender. On a second offense at that value, courts are not going to be lenient.


Repeat question. See my other answer.

IMPORTANT: Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during an attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private attorney-client consultation. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, an attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual. For persons located in New Jersey: To the extent that Mr. Murray's profile can be considered an advertisement in New Jersey, which is denied, be advised that NO ASPECT OF THIS ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE SUPREME COURT OF NEW JERSEY. Furthermore, the selection methodology for the SuperLawyers' "Rising Stars" awards is set forth at length at this website:


See your other post. The PD is available.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer