Skip to main content

Some one did repairs on my home and I found flaws [ have paid ] and he will not come back nor answer my calls . what can I do

Sumter, SC |

I had doors replaced and there are holes big enough for my hand to fit through. Door will not lock because not lined up right. I did not see this because I am short but my daughter found it This is home I rent out.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Hopefully, you used a worker who is licensed and bonded -- but it sounds as if you did not. You can sue this person in magistrate's court but, depending on how much he was paid, you may determine that is best to get an actual contractor to fix the problem and write off the shabby work as a hard lesson learned. If this person installed any locks, I would suggest that you change the locks since the person may be dishonest as well as incompetent and may have kept a duplicate key for a later visit. Much depends on how much you paid for the work.
Also, in future, pay some up front and hold th e balance until you review the work. Few reputable workmen will begrudge you that.

The material on the site is made available with the understanding that this author is not engaged in providing professional legal advice. Before relying on material on the site users should obtain appropriate professional legal advice. The material on this site may include opinions, recommendations or other content from third parties that do not necessarily reflect this author's views. Links to other Web sites are included for the user's convenience and do not constitute this author's endorsement of the material on those sites, or any associated product or service. The listing of a person or company in any part of this site in no way implies any form of endorsement by this author of products or services provided by that person or company. The questioner is advised to consult an attorney for legal advice as to that person's particular situation. You may wish to consult your lawyer or another lawyer instead of me (us). You may obtain information about other lawyers by consulting the Yellow Pages or by calling the South Carolina Bar Lawyer Referral Service at 799-7100 in Columbia or toll-free at 1-800-868-2284. If you have already engaged a lawyer in connection with the legal matter referred to in this communication, you should direct any questions you have to that lawyer. The exact nature of your legal situation will depend on many facts not known to me (us) at this time. You should understand that the advice and information in this communication is general and that your own situation may vary.


If the contract was licensed, call the contractor licensing board and complain. If not small claims court.