Sole parenting worksheet vs share parenting worksheet calculation for child support? MY CS is based on the guidelines

Parsippany, NJ |

we have only one child. Child live with the mother and I have 2 overnights per week. In my case 2 overnights a week equal 28.57%of time per week. in reference to the numbers; her net income a week is $429 and mine $1050 . Using my shared parenting worksheet my child support payment is $231/week.My shared time is higher that 28% and her net income plus my CS pymt is higher that the poverty thresholds. With all this facts why the court used the sole parenting worksheet instead? according to court is following the NJ guidelines. am I missing anything?

in my case I have 104 weeks which equal: 2 overnights * 52 weeks: 104 overnights per year. So I qualified for the share par. worksheet. What I am not clear about the poverty test how it works.

Best Answer

Can't agree with the other answers.... it appears that you wouldn't be eligible for the Shared Parenting Worksheet. I wouldn't waste the money on a reconsideration motion.

See page 2594 of 2014 Court Rules (Appendix IX-A). The minimum net income for the PPR in a two person household if $597 per week (2.0 x 2013 Poverty Guidelines) to get on the Shared Parenting worksheet. You indicate that (before support is added), she makes $429 per week.

If her pay increases, you can go back and get it applied, but based on what you've said, the court complied with the Rules.

IF YOU LIKE THIS ANSWER AND APPRECIATE THE TIME IT TOOK TO WRITE IT, PLEASE SELECT IT AS "BEST ANSWER." Thanks. The above is said without seeing your case file and without my understanding the entirety of the facts of your case. Depending on those facts, the above information be may incomplete or may be completely inaccurate. The above is intended as general information only based on what you described and not as legal advice. I advise you to consult with counsel who may be able to provide better information commensurate with a better understanding of your situation.

Shared is for 104 overnights or more so, if you include vacations, special days, holidays... you should be over that and it should be shared. What

Andrew A Bestafka

Andrew A Bestafka

The poverty calculation is too complicated to handle through this website. Plus, that is a specific expertise that attorneys are usually compensated for providing. But, child support is not considered income to her so it would not be included in her income.

104 overnights does typically qualify you for the shared worksheet. There may be other factors which you did not mention or the Court may have used the wrong worksheet. I would suggest that you bring this to your attorney's attention. You may need to request an amended Order or file a motion for reconsideration.

David Perry Davis

David Perry Davis

I must respectfully disagree with my esteemed colleague. It appears that you wouldn't be eligible for the Shared Parenting Worksheet. I wouldn't waste the money on a reconsideration motion. See page 2594 of 2014 Court Rules (Appendix IX-A). The minimum net income for the PPR in a two person household if $597 per week (2.0 x 2013 Poverty Guidelines) to get on the Shared Parenting worksheet. You indicate that (before support is added), she makes $429 per week. If her pay increases, you can go back and get it applied, but based on what you've said, the court complied with the Rules.

what is confusing in the guidelines for the test says to take the ppr net income plus the shared-parenting award child support. what do they mean by "plus"? should i add my cs payment of 231 on the top of her net income if 429 before comoaring against the 597 threshold amount?

You really should contact an attorney in your area to help you. There are many different factors that go into child support calculations, some of which were not addressed in your post, i.e. day care expenses, age of the children, when the first order was set, who pays for medical coverage, etc. Contact an attorney in your area and provide him and her with the documentation to get an accurate figure.

This office does not represent you. This email does not form any attorney / client relationship. In order to form an attorney client relationship with our office, our office requires both a signed retainer and payment of any initial fee. Further, since we have very limited facts relative to your matter, you should not rely on any of the general advice set forth within our answer. I would strongly recommend that you speak with counsel regarding your issue.