Skip to main content

Sold $1600 of furniture and was paid with a bad check

Long Beach, CA |

I sold $1600 worth of merchandise (furniture) to a client he was a previous client of our store so when he told us that he was going to pay us with a check that his mother gave him we did not think much about it. We've deliver merchandise to his house before and we did not believe this check was going to bouse. Its been a week and he was out of town. Now he is back and he told us he was going to bring the money the whole day went bay and we have not seen him. I got a chance to talk to his mother and she said she never gave him a check. I shall add this was a check that bounsed because the checking account was close. He picked up the furniture and when we went a couple of days ago to his residence they told us he was out of town but the furniture is still in his house. What shall I do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


See the link below for LA's bad check program.

Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.


In California, writing a check without sufficient funds may be a crime. If you believe you were a victim of criminal conduct, you should bring the matter to the attention of the police department, sheriff's office or the district attorney in the county where the alleged conduct took place.

California Civil Code section 1719 allows the receiver of a bad check to recover three times the amount of the check, up to $1500, in civil court if sufficient notice is mailed or delivered to the person who wrote the check. The damages are in addition to collecting the value of the check and they could include court and mailing costs.

If you have further questions regarding available civil remedies, consult a private attorney.

In Los Angeles County, see also:

Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, consult your own attorney.


The California Courts website offers a sample bad check demand letter: