Skip to main content

So, what do I need to do to inform USCIS about my GED?????

Chattanooga, TN |

I had final order of deportation in 2009. I had expired Arizona DL and passport expired with visitor visa on it. CPB guy stop me to check my status at the airport in AZ. CPB hand me over ICE for removal, I got out on bond. NTA notice, but I never did went to my court date, so I got deportation order in absentia. . I have no criminal background. But, only thing I’m worried about my HS diploma, I just did two years in HS then dropped out. After I heard about DACA, I did online HS diploma from, then I submitted my app to USCIS on August 27, 2012. When I went college to apply with my online diploma they did not accept. They told me to do GED which I did and passed all exams. I’m still waiting for my approval and almost 1 year since I applied for DACA 

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You should retain an immigration attorney to guide you through this. DACA decisions should not be taking one year and there are very specific guidelines as to what meets the education requirement that an attorney can help you address. Good Luck.


Your narrative shows problems with your DACA for several reasons: one is a finding of removability in absentia, second is completing a GED that may not be recognized as a conforming education for the DACA purposes. Please discuss your case with a local immigration counsel for further legal assistance.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. If you have further inquiries you may contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602


You may want to hire an experienced immigration attorney to help you find out what is going on with your DACA application.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.