Skip to main content

Slip and fall

Decatur, GA |
Attorney answers 7


You can't sue your employer in GA. You may have a workers' comp claim because you injured yourself while at work. However, if it was during a regularly scheduled work break, it may not be compensable. You are allowed to make claims for accidents that occur during the course of and scope of your employment, or while you are at your work place doing something in furtherance of your job duties. If your break was not a regularly scheduled break and it was over and you were on your way back to your job duties you have a claim.


I agree with the prior response. however, you may wish to check and see if the floor is cleaned by a party other than your employer. Man employer's use third party cleaning services and they may be liable to you for their negligence.


If the accident happened during the course of your employment, which it seems like it did, you should get a workers compensation attorney.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.


If you were hurt at work, you file a workers comp claim with your employer. You can't sue the employer. (If a third party, such as an outside cleaning company, created the problem, you may be able to sue them). Discuss this with your lawyer.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.


Retain a workers comp lawyer.


You may have a work cmp claim, so see a comp atty. You may have a third party claim against the cleaning service if they are not employee of your employer. If the bldg isnt owned by you employer, you may be able to sue the owner of the bldg too.


I agree with the other attorneys' responses. If you were injured because of your fall, it sounds like you have a worker's comp case. Should you need any assistance handling your case, my firm is here in Decatur. 404-816-7374.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer