Skip to main content

Sister's rights to custody of siblings

Binghamton, NY |

My 18 yr old brother lives in virginia with my mother. she has walked out on him leaving him no money for food or to support himself. he has major medical problems with no insurance because she will not put him on any insurance. he is also a junior in high school. how can i gain custody of my brother and can i also collect support from my mother? i live in the state of new york. any advice would be very helpful please and thank you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You cannot gain custody of an adult, after they have become an adult. You are also not able to collect child support if you did not start an action prior to your brother turning 18. This, of course, may vary by state.

An additional problem you have is the authority of New York over a woman who resides in Virginia. There may be no jurisdiction over her so a New York court could not order her to personally do anything, including pay child support.

Consult with an attorney in your area.