Skip to main content

Since me and my wife bought our house six years ago she never paid the mortage. now I stop paying the mortage for six months

Bronx, NY |

she is taking me to court for support. Do I have to give her any support knowing i ws paying the mortage ever since we bought the house?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You don't really provide enough information in your question to know whether your wife (or soon to be ex-wife, I assume, as you are getting divorced?) is entitled to an equitable distribution of community property or spousal maintenance. That depends on a lot of factors, not simply who was "paying the mortgage" the last six years. You need to seek the advice of a matrimonial lawyer as soon as possible to know what your rights and obligations are here. The usual method of dealing with this situation if there is equity in the house and one party is going to keep living there is one party has to buy the other one out, using their savings or retirement funds.

This answer is provided under the “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".


You should consult with an experienced divorce or support lawyer in your area. It is a question whether you are in Family Court or Supreme Court. Also, depends on whether it is for spousal maintenance or equitable distribution and the asset has equity.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or


That is a question of fact for a trial judge to determine or to be settled upon between you and your spouse. See a divorce attorney.

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and all copies and attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless specifically stated otherwise, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed to be legal or tax advice, and no attorney-client relationship shall be deemed to have been created.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer