Skip to main content

Signing away parental rights in Florida

Deland, FL |

Me and My now ex of 3 years have a son due in sept. She already has 2 kids from different fathers and does not want any thing to do with our son when hes born. She has agreed to sign all her parental rights over to me, incuding financial responsibility. Is this posible? What would we need to do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

No this is not possible unless you have a new wife who wants to adopt the child. Florida law is designed to ensure that children have 2 parents. Therefore, one parent can not "give up" his or her parental rights unless someone else wishes to assume those rights.


No way to trade away a child, for money (support) or otherwise. Marry, and adopt, as my colleague advised, and circumstances may change. Baby selling is frowned upon, and that is exactly how the court will look at it.

We do not have a client/attorney relationship until you make an appointment, we discuss your case face to face, I accept a retainer, and we explictly agree to enter into representation.


Short answer is NO, not possible.

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-377-6828. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer