Skip to main content

Sign an affidavit saying i dont want to press charges against your boyfriend in an aggravated assault charge?

Gary, IN |
Attorney answers 2


If your question is "will this result in a dismissal?" the chances are slim. Prosecutors are used to girlfirends asking that charges for domestic violence against their boyfriends be dropped. If the evidence is strong enough without you, they will move forward.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.


It is the prosecutor's discretion to go forward or not. If this is a repeat of the past or the person has priors there is little chance of the affidavit helping.

You should consult your own attorney about the consequences of refusing to testify on the grounds that you may incriminate yourself.

A good place to start is by going to the website for the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers ( Clicking on this link will take you to the part of their site that links you to a map of the US where you can click on your jurisdiction to find an affiliate local organization. There is also a link to find members of NACDL near you. Meet several that offer free consultation. Hire one that you feel comfortable with and you can afford. There is no confidentiality online.

NACDL Local affiliates:

NACDL local members:
( | For confidential answers on Florida law, call 1.877.452.9457. Attorney James Regan, LL.M, Esq., is a Florida lawyer answering questions pro bono. Answering these consumer questions based on limited and unverified facts does not create an attorney-client relationship. Being posted on the internet, these questions and answers are not confidential. For confidential answers on Florida law, call 1.800.452.9357.