Skip to main content

Should we go back to mediation or should I request parenting coordinator?

Orlando, FL |

I have been divorced for 4 years, co-parenting, communication was great. We were a better "team" divorced, than married. I remarried, he started dating someone and now he has done a 180 and I can barely speak to my kids when he has them. We have 50/50 shared...basically switch every other day including weekends. Very flexible. I pay for their phones so they can contact me and vice versa without bothering dad, but he makes them leaves their phones at home. He won't respond to text or call until the next day. Today I had to call the school to see where they were at. This is all so unnecessary. I have tried talking to him to no end, but he has shut down. Should I request parenting coordinator or go back to mediation? I really don't want either but it takes 2 people to co-parent.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Before returning to court you may want to suggest a co-parenting software program, such as Family Wizard, where you can coordinate and communicate re: the kids without having any actual contact. If he is open to this, you can try it for a probationary period and hopefully you will find that the difficulties stem from a short lived period of discomfort. If not, of course, you can pursue other alternatives such as those mentioned above.


I agree with my colleague that our family wizard is a great tool. In the type of situation that you describe, I would think a session or two with a parenting coordinator may be more useful than a mediation; however, you would have to file a motion to request that the court order a parenting coordinator. Best of luck.

This answer is for general informational purposes only and should not be relied upon for your particular case nor is it intended as legal advice. I have not reviewed your case nor have I met with you and the answer to this question does not in any manner whatsoever establish an attorney/client relationship.


That sounds like a mediation/coordination item more than a litigation item - but as you point out it takes two...

Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.


While a Parenting Coordinator can certainly be a helpful option - it requires both parties to consent to same, and to the financial where-with-all to afford the process. Moreover, since the PC does not have authority to make "substantive" decisions, unless the parties stipulate to same, the PC has limited powers/authority and can sometimes be more like long-term mediation - so I encourage the stipulation to grant the PC certain "Parenting Arbitrator" type powers so you can have an immediate determination made on any disputed items - knowing that the "decision" can always be "appealed" to the Circuit Court Judge if you disagree with the PC's recommendation.

Beyond that, it depends upon how many issues you think you'll need to address & if that can be done in a single mediation session or not.

In some cases, you may be better served by filing a Motion for Enforcement and scheduling a case management conference so the Judge can get the other side to grow up & agree to have the conversation.

The answer provided is a general answer to a general question - and should NOT be construed as my giving specific legal advice, nor does it create any attorney/client relationship or expectation of privilege - and should you have specific questions you seek to address, then I encourage you to seek a consultation with an experienced Family Law Attorney in your area who may discuss your case with you and give you specific advice to assist you.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer