Skip to main content

Should we file a joint bankruptcy? or try a Pay to Delete Letter?

Savannah, GA |

My credit was ruined from a prior relationship. It's mostly small dumb stuff but I've taken a hit. Tried to correct things but it hasn't helped. So I thought about filing by myself to lift these things off of me so I could help my husband. My current husband is military. We were doing things under my husbands name and then we got stationed overseas. No jobs, high conversion rates, and having a child have took us from having no debt, to in debt. Now there is a chance we could be going back stateside soon and we are behind on some of the rather large balances we owe. I know we have to find a place to live, get vehicles, etc.... but with us being so far behind I wonder if this would be the best option. My concern is how it would affect my husband or if it even would.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


If all the debt is in your name, you should probably file bankruptcy alone. Your bankruptcy should not affect your husband's credit rating so long as he keeps up on his payments. If both of you have debt you should file jointly. When you get back to the states, discuss your options with an experienced bankruptcy attorney. Good luck.

Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662. Please be aware that each answer on this website is based upon the facts, or lack thereof, provided in the question. To be sure you get complete and comprehensive answers, based upon the totality of your situation, contact a local attorney who specializes in the area of law that involves your legal problem. Diane L. Gruber has been practicing law in Oregon for 26 years, specializing in family law, bankruptcy, estate planning and probate. Note: Diane L. Gruber does not represent you until a written fee agreement has been signed by you and Diane L. Gruber, and the fee listed in the agreement has been paid.


Please contact an attorney and obtain a free consultation to find out what options are best for your family.


If you file by yourself, you can eliminate your own debt, which will not affect your husband unless you have debt with him. In the latter case, he will still owe any debts which are in his name alone or which were joint with you. Even if he does not file with you, his income will have to be considered as household income for purposes of determining what type of bankruptcy you qualify for. As there are several different options available to you, you should sit down with a bankruptcy attorney in the jurisdiction where you will be located once you come back to the States or, if you know where you would be stationed in the US, call someone in that area to give them all of your facts. They can then run through all of your options and give you some clear answers.

The above information is general in nature. In order to obtain more specific and legal advice upon which to base your important decisions, please contact our office directly for a free phone or in person consultation. Robert M. Gardner, Jr. Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP 53 W. Candler St. Or 718 Oak St. Winder, Ga. 30680 Gainesville, Georgia (770) 307-4899 (770) 538-0555 serving metro Atlanta and all of Northeast Georgia Bankruptcy, Divorce, Personal Injury, Worker’s Compensation, Medical Malpractice, Adoption, Civil and Criminal Litigation


Bankruptcy can be a good answer for some people, but the only way to know is to let an attorney see all your financial information. Call one for an appointment.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.