Skip to main content

Should the diploma need to be obtained before the green card has started?

New York, NY |

I have spoken with the company to sponsor my green card under EB2 but since I haven’t obtained my master yet they accepted to start the process with EB3 which I don’t need to. A new position was posted by the company. They ask for a Master degree. I contacted the University since I have completed all of the academic graduation requirements but I got back from the university that they cannot release diplomas before the graduation day which is on December 1st 2013. I have heard the recruitment phase is valid for 6 months. I wonder is the better thing to do..

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4



EB-2 has a much shorter waiting list (depending where you are from) for the visa number to become current. Assuming you are in status, you should await until you have the Master's and then file for an EB-2.

We have 3 offices over the State of California and an international office in the Philippines. We do 100% Immigration Law, have done nearly 5000 cases and can help you. Should you want an in depth consultation, please schedule one at or call 562-495-0554 or e-mail me directly at


It sounds like they are doing the right thing.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


You could wait till you graduate.

Contact (317) 660-6174 for specific legal advice. Answers here are not legal advice because they are of general nature and not tailored to your specific situation. You should not act on this answer without checking with an Immigration Attorney.


To qualify for the position, you must meet all of the requirements. Almost meeting the degree requirement is not enough.,

Your employer needs to retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise them, and handle the case. Your employer can find one through

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer