Skip to main content

Should it get a attorney, even if i haven't been contacted by police?

Albany, NY |

Over two months ago an incident took place with a coworker. This coworker had been abusing coupons and I stated that I thought she might had been abusing them. I stated that i had accepted a questionable coupon a year ago and from then I had accepted possibly 3 others (max $ amount 20). I guess she was using coupons on others. We were both fired, I was fired because I did not mention this to a manger but I didn't know to the extent of her abuse.

They did not mention they were contacting police and they were not present when i was fired. I'm just paranoid I'm being investigated. Also, can i get an attorney to see if I am being investigated and would I have heard something by now?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

I doubt the police are involved. I've handled cases like this before and the employer doesn't usually reveal whether or not the police are involved. Dont speak to the police without a lawyer.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


You could get an attorney but it might not be necessary at this point. If two months have already passed it would be surprising for them to start a prosecution now. Only you can decide if it is worth the money to have someone make a call on your behalf.

I have been a criminal attorney in New York for almost 25 years. website: Phone #: 718-208-6094 email: This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.


You can wait until something happens before you hire a lawyer. If you receive a phone call from the police or are questioned by the police, then say nothing until you have a lawyer.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or


Retain a lawyer for a few hundred dollars, then you will be able to discuss the case, surrender if necessary, and get out without bail.