Should I worry?

Palmdale, CA |

I used to work in a pharmacy. I met this guy who offered me 700 dollars to get him six prescriptions which consisted of vicodin, soma, lorcet, Xanax, and flexeril. I got half the money up front and when I delivered them I got the rest of the money. I was fired from my job and about a week later a detective called me wanting to talk to me. I called him back twice but got voicemail. He hasn't called in about a month and a half and suddenly called me a few days ago he says he wants to meet me somewhere or he can come to my house? My question is do I have to talk to him? What does he want after 2 months. If he had a case wouldn't I have been arrested already. What should I do? I live In california. Will I go to jail? I already have to pay back the employer for the medications.

Best Answer

You should only speak to your attorney. Never speak to law enforcement when you are a suspect in a criminal matter. If you want to speak to me, as a former Deputy D.A. I'm sure I can answer all your questions. 661-222-2253......David

ok so i was picked up on a dui nov 2013. apparently the cop had a warrant out.for me. i was prosecuted for theft and did2 days in.county jail. now i am recieving a letter from board of pharmacy. do i have to respond to that packet or can i just surrender my license? can they send me to.jail again? i cannot afford a lawyer. i thought this was all.done and over with.

David Mark Wallin

David Mark Wallin

I've done many cases very much like yours. I ask you, can you afford being a convicted Felon? You really should get off the computer and CALL A LAWYER. We are trying to help you, but you have to want to help yourself......DO NOT SPEAK WITH THE DETECTIVE.... CALL AN EXPERIENCED ATTORNEY.....David Wallin

i never spoke to them. i was convicted.in 2013. i did my 2 days in jail. the packet i got in the mail was from board of pharmacy. i beleive its to decide what to do with my license. i am not sure if i have to respod to the packet. but to answer you. no i.cannot afford to be a criminal. this stupid decision has caused a lot of problems for me. i want to.find a job, but its hard, and expunge my record. i learned my lesson. im just.curious.as to.what.can the board do?

David Mark Wallin

David Mark Wallin

Depending on the evidence they have before them, they can impact a license in many ways.....Thats why I and many others tell you to speak with a lawyer and retain one, to deal with the license issues, as well as any criminal issues....In the long run, it just could save you a lot more money that you would ever spend on a lawyer.....Good Luck.....David

ok thank you

David Mark Wallin

David Mark Wallin

You are very welcome....

Yes, you should worry. You need a criminal defense attorney -- at the very least a consultation with one. The detective is not looking to do you any favors but probably to build a case against you.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Yes, worry alot.

Yes, of course you should worry. You are the target of a criminal investigation and the police are looking for you. Absolutely do not meet with or speak to any police officer and do not discuss this matter with anybody except your own attorney whose loyalty will be to you and to nobody else. Retain a good criminal defense attorney immediately, like first thing tomorrow morning if you have not done so already, and leave it to your lawyer to make contact with the detective.

By the way, although nobody can possibly know for sure the answer to your question about what the detective wants, the realistic possibilities are that he wants to (1) prosecute you; (2) use you; or (3) both. My bet is on #3.

Michael Raymond Daymude

Michael Raymond Daymude

I vote for #3, too.

Yes! Hire a defense attorney ASAP.

I handled numerous narcotics cases as a prosecutor, and I can assure you the detective is not dropping by for a social visit. He is building a case against you. Cases involving narcotics investigations are often filed months after the crime occurred. This is pure speculation, but your case may have been reviewed by a prosecutor, who was unwilling to file charges without the detective interviewing you first. This would explain the delay. I "kicked back" plenty of cases to detectives when I was a prosecutor. You should consult with an attorney. I recommend calling any of the attorneys who answered your question. You can call me at 949 444 2870.

Ok thank you everyone for your answers. My problem is I cannot afford an attorney and how should icall him back and tell him I don't want to talk to him before he shows up at my house. I am a mother of 4 small children and the last thing I want is him coming here. Also, what's the worst case scenario that can happen and the best case scenario?

William Gerhard Holzer

William Gerhard Holzer

I appreciate your honesty. Most attorneys - such as myself - will give free twenty minute consultations over the phone. I will say you can't prevent the detective from coming to your door, and you can't prevent him from arresting you, if he believes he has probable cause. However, if he attempts to interview you, you can tell him you want to speak to a lawyer first. If he asks to enter your house, you can refuse to give consent and ask to see a search warrant before allowing him to enter. It is hard to give a worst case scenario without knowing all the facts, but you could be arrested and serve years in jail. Please remember, anything you say to the detective will be used against you, except for the statement "I want my lawyer; I don't want to talk to you." Even a message you leave on his voice mail can be used against you in court.

Wow.thanks..I am trying to avoid jail period. I know what I did was wrong and I shouldn't have done it but I was in a situation where I needed the money, I have to provide for my kids. I know I will meet do it again, my kids are my everything and I refuse to be away from them. It was 700 dollars and most def not worth it. I lost my job and now this. I already have set up a payment plan to pay my employer back. I also am unable to give the detective any information about the guy, all I know is his name and what city he lives in. I've never seen him not spoken to him again after this. This is like a nightmare. I am a nursing student and I don't want this to mess up my future. I wish I had money for a lawyer. I really appreciate all of your answers.

As stated by my colleagues, YES, you should worry. Seek the aid of a lawyer as soon as possible and absolutely DO NOT talk to this detective, even if he arrests you and takes you in for questioning. In fact, do not speak to anyone but your attorney.

Second, AVVO is not confidential. Consider this carefully when posting questions.

I am an attorney practicing in the Antelope Valley. I give a free initial consultation. Please feel free to contact me at 661-902-8176. Good luck to you.

David J. Parsons
www.parsonsatlaw.com

For informative purposes only. The attorney does not contemplate an attorney/client relationship being formed simply by providing information here nor is one thereby formed without a written contract for that attorney's services.