Skip to main content

Should I wait to file my spouse's GC applications until I file joint tax?

Olympia, WA |

I recently got married and we are preparing to file my spouse's GC applications. I was a full-time student until 2011(living with student loan and some income from part-time job) and started working full-time since last year.

I believe that filing GC applications after filing joint tax showing that I have enough income to support him would be better.
However, I'm wondering if filing GC applications with a proof of income from the employer would be as good?

My concern is that I will need to keep paying my spouse's tution until he gets his GC to maintain his legal status, if I should wait until I file joint tax.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

It is your current income that counts. So, if you can present a letter from your employer stating how much you are making, it would suffice. The tax returns need to be submitted as well. If you do not have enough income, find a joint sponsor, because it is your individual income that counts anyway. I suggest you hire a lawyer to help you.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova


There is a fantastic immigration lawyer in Olympia (Lisa Seifert) who you should consider meeting with ... she can help you make a 'good' plan of how to proceed.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


If you want to show that he is compliant with the tax laws to improve the GC application, you can probably file a joint return. But, the bottom line here is that you need to go see a local Immigration Attorney and one of the posters indicated a good person to contact. Don't try to do this on your own, its too important, and the laws and procedures are not your area of specialty. Get some help.