Should I share the image of my broken neck at the time of accident and my healed neck after accident with an insurance adjuster?

Salt Lake City, UT |

I am looking to negotiate a settlement with an insurance company adjuster after an auto accident. BEFORE you tell me to talk with an attorney, know this...I have. I am going forward pro se. I would like to try my hand at settling with the adjuster before going to trial...if I can not reach a reasonable sum, I will get an attorney for trial.

Mostly, I don't want to ruin my chances at trial.

Best Answer

If you want to take out your own appendix, it is your funeral. But as far as the photos go, pictures you took of your injuries are protected work product and they may not have to be disclosed, unless the other party shows substantial need and undue hardship. For example, if a bruise was there at the time of the accident and now there is no bruise, your photo may be the only evidence. Photos taken right at or near the scene of an accident will probably have to be produced. That being said, if the photos are good, you will want to use them, so there is no harm in showing the insurance adjuster your proof of damages. It might get you more in settlement. If the photos do not help you, do not turn them over.
And I will conclude with our compulsory attorney answer: Do not handle your own personal injury case. Hire an attorney in your area. As Abraham Lincoln said, "A person who acts as his own counsel has a fool for a client."

Thank you for a informative, intelligent and thoughtful answer complete with warning. FYI, I think I already had a funeral :)

an informative, not a informative

If you do not want to ruin your chances at trial, why are you trying to handle this yourself? Anything that you say or do can potentially hurt the value of your case. No attorney wants to take over a case after the client has messed up discovery opportunities, given unfavorable testimony and has failed to properly preserve evidence for use at trial. Without a complete familiarity with discovery rules and procedures this is a distinct possibility. The problem is that you have no idea what you don't know. The nature of your questions reflects that fact. So, in short, I am sorry to tell you what you do not want to hear, but you should get an experienced personal injury attorney immediately, if you still can find one that wants your case, before you potentially further damage your ability to be fairly compensated.

In seeking an attorney on this site, beware of limiting your search to attorneys with a 10 rating, and carefully read the AVVO disclaimer regarding their rating system. There are certain factors that are given great weight which do not necessarily have any bearing on an attorney's experience, abilities, and results with certain types of cases. Accordingly, the rating numbers can be misleading. Also beware of basing your choice on the fee charged, as a low fee, depending on the skill, experience and determination of the specific attorney handling your case, could actually have an inverse relationship to the amount actually put in your pocket.

Yes, I hear you loud and clear, sound advice indeed...so, will you answer my question?

How will showing the images hurt me at trial? Can you tell me?

I really appreciate where you are coming from. I appreciate your advice, but there is no attorney that I know of who wants to deal with my attorney's lien, a second accident soon after the first and an accident that is past discovery, and my lack of funds. I am pro se. Real advice is what is needed to help me take my own case forward...even if it is done badly. My neck was broken, I was injured. I deserve some compensation. It would be helpful if attorney's admit there is a big hole in the legal system for those without knowledge or funds. Being victimized by the legal system is even worse than being injured in the first place.

If you are serious in your post, then get thee to a local and qualified attorney asap. Hopefully, what you have done thus far can be cured; or at least minimized. Good luck.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff

I am acting pro se...I am alone at this time. I need to act alone at this time. I must try first a negotiation with the adjuster. I do not have an attorney. I do not have thousands of dollars for witnesses. I do not have money for experts. I am on my own. I need professional advice dealing with the adjuster. I am asking for help. Please.

Jeffrey Mark Adams

Jeffrey Mark Adams

What you've stated is exactly why you need an attorney. Besides, trying to cut out a lawyer is not only ill-conceived and unwise, but lawyers work for a living too.

I have talked with attorneys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How clear must I be? I DON'T HAVE and attorney.

Whether it be unwise or not, my case is pro se.

Jeffrey Mark Adams

Jeffrey Mark Adams

I wish you all the best.

I, myself will go to trial if I must.

Thanks for your well wishing.

I wish you the best too.

Jeffrey Mark Adams

Jeffrey Mark Adams

I'm being sincere.

I apologize for my frustration.

I am not taking away any lawyers fees...my former attorney has a lien on my case.

He will get paid.

I have a video on YouTube where my paralegal addresses speaking with insurance companies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDyxK85mqVo

I guess in negotiating with my insurance adjuster I should not speak whatsoever. Helpful, but not adequate.

Hypothetically speaking, if my period of discovery was over...is such a claim inadmissible?