Skip to main content

Should I seek private council for a federal conspiracy drug charge?

Rochester, NY |

I am facing a federal charge of Conspiracy with the intent to distribute Methylone. The charges were brought when a controlled delivery was taken place after an individual (Who we will call David) who was arrest in separate drug charges informed police about a shipment coming in from China to the USA containing 1 kilogram of Methylone. DEA & DHS asked me questions I made it clear I was severely intoxicated from stimulants, alcohol and weed edibles. I said I was selling Methylone. I didn't say I am taking the wrap for David because if I did receive the drugs I would be given free drugs to support my habit. David told me days before if I get caught that if I snitch that it would be problems, where he lifted his shirt and showed me the end of a handgun. David still sells drugs even after this

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7




It's always better to have a private lawyer.

The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


These are serious charges and you need the best defense possible. Federal drug charges carry heavy penalties. Your statements are damaging and you have been threatened. You need to contact a competent federal criminal defense lawyer and don't make any statements to any law enforcement or your co-defendants going forward.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia


You should exercise your right to counsel and your right to remain silent.

The information provided is not intended to be legal advice, but merely conveys general information related to legal issues commonly encountered. The information is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or current. I make no warranty, expressed or implied, about the accuracy or reliability of the information. You should not act or rely on any information at above without seeking the advice of an attorney. The determination of whether you need legal services and your choice of a lawyer are very important matters that should not be based on websites or advertisement


Private or CJA - either way you need help quick.


You should definitely consult with a lawyer as soon as possible. CJA lawyers and Public Defenders are good lawyers; however you cannot get a court appointed lawyer until you are arrested. A private lawyer can speak with the U. S. Attorney and possibly protect you from "David". You may even be able to avoid being arrested.


Obtain a private lawyer or request a court appointed lawyer ASAP.

Please do NOT use this answer/response to say or do anything regarding your situation. This answer/response is based on the information provided in the question asked and requires a much more complete context than is available in this public forum. BEFORE you say or do anything consult with an experienced Federal and/or state criminal defense attorney in your jurisdiction who will listen to you and your concerns.