Skip to main content

Should I respond to a claim letter?

Mount Laurel, NJ |

I had an accident involving damage to other party's and my vehicle. I got a letter from the other party's agency asking for my insurance details. The letter stated that "As per our investigation it appears that you are at fault... we need your insurance details..."

Should I provide them with the insurance details? The police report any way has this information. Please advise.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 9


Turn the letter over to your insurer asap!

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff


You should send the letter to your insurance company and let them handle the matter. Failure to notify your insurance company can result in its denying coverage to you.

This response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. For more information on our firm, visit our website:


Forward the correspondence to your insurance carrier.

IMPORTANT: Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during an attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private attorney-client consultation. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, an attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual. For persons located in New Jersey: To the extent that Mr. Murray's profile can be considered an advertisement in New Jersey, which is denied, be advised that NO ASPECT OF THIS ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE SUPREME COURT OF NEW JERSEY. Furthermore, the selection methodology for the SuperLawyers' "Rising Stars" awards is set forth at length at this website:


Turn it over to your insurance company to resolve.


I agree with my colleagues. Don't even deal with them. Advise your insurance company and let them handle it. Good luck.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.


I agree with the other responses. I also wanted to add that the frequently heard cautionary statement "anything you say can be used against you" may apply to statements you make to other people about this car accident. What you say to others can be treated as "Party Admissions" and even though you may not think you are making an "admission" against your own interest, other people may later try to use your own words against you. Better to get this letter to your insurance carrier right away and let them deal with it. That's what they are there for, and the claims professionals are usually quite experienced in dealing with situations like this.

Every legal dispute has its own particular facts and law applicable to it. The comment given above is based on relatively general information given in this particular inquiry, and therefore the comment gives relatively generally applicable suggestions. The above comment, however, is not meant to be specific legal advice for your particular situation, and is not intended to be an exhaustive analysis of your situation. I cannot and do not give any guarantees about this accuracy of this comment for your particular situation. Unless you formally retain me as your attorney and enter a written agreement with my law firm, I am not your attorney. If you feel you need to retain an attorney, feel free to call me or another attorney who you feel would be appropriate for your needs.


Of course they are going to say you are at fault because they don't want to pay. Let YOUR insurance company handle this. That's why you paid them. Make sure you have reported the accident to them. Good luck.


Turn the demand over to your insurance carrier and let them deal with the demand. Your insurance carrier will likely contact the other insurance.

This information is provided for general informational purposes and is not intended as legal advice. An attorney licensed in your jurisdiction can answer questions specific to your specific fact situation and provide you appropriate advice as necessary based on the specific facts of your matter and the jurisdiction in which you reside. If you are in Arizona and interested in discussing your matter further I can be reached at: (480) 838-9000 Campbell Law PC 1839 S. Alma School Road, Suite 275 Mesa, Arizona 85210


I agree with the other attorney's Contact your insurance company and allow them to both assist you in your response and/ or provide you with an attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer