Skip to main content

Should I plead guilty or not guilty on my speeding ticket?

Rush, NY |

It is my first offense, I have never been pulled over before.I had been driving a total of 14 hours in the past 2 days and was 20 minutes from my house when I was pulled over for 80 in a 65. The state officer was very nice and told me I should try to get it reduced to a non moving violation. He didn't really explain how I do this though. I called the town court and she said I might be able to go to court tonight but I am not sure what I am supposed to do there. I leave the state in a few days and want this cleared up before then, with little or no points on my insurance.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Contact a local traffic attorney immediately. You can always fight a ticket.

Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice. It is merely intended to provide general information to aid the poster in finding answers to the problem posed. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. In most cases, it is best to contact an attorney directly to find answers to your problems.


Plead not guilty. They will then give you a date to meet with the town attorney to negotiate a disposition.


Best bet is to get an attorney to fight this for you.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia


First step is contact a local traffic court attorney before you do anything.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer