Should I plead "guilty" or "not guilty" to a speeding ticket?

Diamond, MO |

The ticket was for doing 41 in a 30 mph school zone. I had no idea I was in a school zone (wasn't familiar with the area) and the regular speed limit was 40, so I had no idea that I was "speeding". Traffic in the area at the time was pretty heavy, which played a part in me not seeing the school zone warning. I was focused on staying safe and not hitting anybody, and yet I got a ticket...how ironic. Of course, the police officer was kind of a jerk and didn't really seem to care. There is a court date on the ticket. My main concern is keeping points off of my license and my insurance from going up. I should mention that this is my first speeding ticket. I've never been to court before so I'm not sure how it works. I just want to know the best route to take in this case.

In most cases, you will have to hire an attorney for the best chance to avoid points on your record. Generally (although not in all cases), first offense speeding tickets are either 1) amended to a no points violation or 2) you are put on a type of probation known as a suspended imposition of sentence, which gives you a chance to avoid points if you avoid trouble for a specific period of time (for example 1 year). In any event, if you show up on your own to court and plead guilty, you will almost certainly take a conviction and receive the appropriate points on your driving record.

Jeremy Hollingshead
www.hollingsheadlaw.com

Hire an experienced traffic ticket attorney to get your ticket reduced to a non-moving, no-point infraction, such as "Illegal Parking." You will have to pay a fine (which will be higher than the original fine) plus court costs, but you won't have to appear in court. No points will be added to your driving record, and your insurance company will never know about the ticket. Most traffic ticket lawyers can give you a flat-fee price quote over the phone.

The answers submitted on AVVO by The Rogers Law Firm, LLC d/b/a LeadFootSpeedingTicket.com are for informational purposes only, do not constitute legal advice, are not intended to be advertising, and are not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up-to-date. The transmission of information on AVVO is not intended to establish, and receipt of such information does not establish or constitute, an attorney-client relationship. The reader should not act on the answers without first consulting legal counsel.

Plead not guilty and immediately hire an attorney in the county where the ticket occurrred. If only 11 over, you are likely to receive a favorable recommendation.

NOTE: The use of the Internet for communications with the firm or this attorney will not establish an attorney-client relationship and messages containing confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent.