Skip to main content

Should I obtain a personal injury lawyer?

Apple Valley, CA |

I was involved in a semi truck accident and have back and neck pain. I had been going for treatment to a chiropractor until the third party insurance refused to authorize any treatment which resulted in the doctors realising me. I still need treatment and have issues getting a hold of the insurance adjuster.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 14


You should consult with a local injury lawyer. You don't ask for authorization from the liable ins co in order to get treatment. They prefer you not get treatment, and they wont commit in advance to paying your bills. If you have health ins go see a medical doctor and get whatever treatment is necessary. Consults with injury attys are free, and you need to get educated on the process.


You need to immediately consult with an experienced personal injury attorney. You have a right to receive all medical care that is reasonable and necessary to address your extra related injuries. The insurance company will not look after your best interests. Therefore do not waste time by asking them to help you with your rights. Consult with and retain an experienced lawyer immediately. Best of luck!

Information posted or made available on or through the Site, including without limitation any responses to legal questions posted in Avvo Q&A, information provided in Avvo Legal Guides, and any other comments, opinions, recommendations, answers, analysis, references, referrals or legally related content or information (collectively "Legal Information") is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and any attorney. Such Legal Information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. It is not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely upon such Legal Information. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege.


Your only access to medical care is through your own insurance or Medicare / Medicaid. If you have a serious injury, hire an attorney and consult an orthopedic doctor. Chiropractors make insurance adjusters laugh.

If there is any way to avoid it, do NOT allow any doctor or chiropractor to "hold" your bill as it will significantly reduce your recovery.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate by providing feedback that the answer was either "helpful" or "best answer" as appropriate. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Candiano is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question.


This is a no brainer. Get a lawyer.


Retain an attorney. It will increase the value of your claim and you will get help finding a doctor who can defer billing you until the case settles.

Call 702-570-9000 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for a free consultation. This answer is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Consult with an attorney if you need further assistance.


Your question carries the answer. Yes you should contact a personal injury attorney to assist you. You do not indicate how the incident occurred but if you were working at the time of the accident you may also have a workers compensation claim. You should get the medical treatment you need when folks are involved in car accidents and suffer injury they should not rely on the other driver's insurance company to do them justice, the insurance company is looking out for their self interests and their insured's interests, NOT YOURS. You need professional assitance on your side! Call a personal injury attorney or a workers compensation attorney for a consultation. Most offer free consultations.

It is most important that you receive proper medical care, even that means using your own health insurance or medical payments coverage. If have neither, a personal injury attorney may be able to assist you in getting medical care on lien basis. As well, under workers compensation law you are entitled to medical care for injuries arising from your employment.

The information provided is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. I am only licensed in the State of California and I am not providing you with specific legal advice. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Being general in nature, the information provided may not apply to any specific factual and/or legal set of circumstances and/or the jurisdiction where you reside. No attorney-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. The information provided is of a general nature is not intended to substitute for the advice of an attorney, especially an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Your question, although you may believe is simple, it is not simple. You require legal advice, please consult with a competent attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction.


Unfortunately you're playing into the trucking company's hands. I've handled a lot of truck accidents and I know this to be true: you should never ask them for advice or authorization to treat. There goal is to make sure that you settle your case for the lowest amount and your goal is to treat as long as necessary, so your interests are not in line with each other. I've helped clients get medical treatment with no upfront payment and get a monetary amount for their injuries as well. Thats the type of service you should expect when you hire a lawyer.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


You consulted a doctor to get your medical care, you should consult an attorney to handle your legal claim. Most of us here on AVVO will provide a free, no obligation consultation with you. Just give us a call.


Absolutely. You need to retain a lawyer as soon as possible so that you can continue to receive the treatment you need. If you wait, the adjuster will use the gap in treatment to claim that later services were unrelated to the accident. Don't delay - call a local lawyer immediately.


YES, you should get a PI lawyer. They can send you to an orthopedist, which is far better for you. The insurance company is not out to do you any favors. A lot of lawyers on here offer free consultations.


Don't speak to the insurance company directly as you don't want to sabotage your good claim. Retain a local personal injury lawyer.


I would urge you to speak with an attorney and hire a lawyer


I would suggest that you contact a local personal injury lawyer to consult with regarding the claim. Most personal injury lawyers provide for a free consultation.


Absolutely contact an attorney immediately. If you do not carry health insurance an attorney can assist you in locating a doctor that will treat you on a lien until your claim resolves.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer