Should I include my child that was adopted by my sister in the question about information about children in N-400 ?

Milford, CT |

my daughter and my sister are also permanent resident. My child's name was recently change in her green card and passport.

Once your child is legally adopted its no longer your child. Just bring it up during the interview if you want tobe 100% safe.

thank you for answering my question, it really helps. So, you mean I can write her name in the information of children. But another question is: what name should I write? her present name and Alien number? I just want to make sure that I will make the right answer to all the naturalization question. Thanks a lot!

I agree with my colleague. You could be sure to mention that you had a child, but that the child was adopted, and therefore, is no longer consider you child for immigration purposes.

Thank You for the helpful answer. Can you also answer my other question? to Atty Calehr? And how about if I'm not include her as my child because you said that she is no longer my child after adoption. Thanks a lot!

Heather Roberts Majam

Heather Roberts Majam

You would not list her on your application as she is no longer your child for immigration purposes. If you're really concerned about it, you could write "see addendum" in that area, and attach an addendum explaining that you had a child - list her name as it was before she was adopted, and explain that she has been legally adopted. If there was anything surrounding the adoption that was case a negative light on you, you may need to consult with an attorney before you do that.

Thanks again for answering my question. It really help me.