Skip to main content

SHould I hire an attorney right away?

Olympia, WA |

I do not have health insurance. I slipped and feel hard in a national chain retail store. I did visit the ER afterwards. The pain gets worse every day. Do I wait until I need more medical care before I take action?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 12


You may want to wait to "take action," but do NOT wait to seek the assistance of an experienced personal injury attorney. The sooner the better to begin guiding you through the process. Good luck.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.




Yes. I would suggest that you contact a local personal injury attorney in your area. You can do a search through AVVO and find an attorney that would be willing to provide you a free consultation.


Yes. Since you have the burden of proof as a claimant or potential plaintiff, It is crucial to preserve all evidence that may be available to support a liability claim against the retailer. The sooner you retain an attorney, the sooner he or she can help you do that.

This answer is intended to provide general guidance only and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please consider retaining legal counsel if you remain uncertain about your rights.


You should contact an attorney right away to start gathering evidence. It is important why you slipped and fell and if you notified the store.

This response does not create a lawyer client relationship. Each case is determined on its specific facts and this reply is intended for a general audience and facts particular to your case may affect the answer. Consult with an attorney in person for specific answers to your questions.


Yes, hire a local personal injury attorney as soon as possible. Your attorney can discuss his/her best plans for your medical care, as well as investigating the liability issues.


Call a lawyer right now.


I moved your question to personal injury instead of zoning because that is more appropriate. Still, you won't likely get any better answers than you already received unanimously. The earlier an experienced attorney gets involved in your case the more value they can offer the case.

I only practice in Washington State and may not practice in your area. This answer is a brief hopefully helpful tip to you which is correct to the best of my knowledge and is meant as a starting point for you to conduct further investigation. However, it is made without knowing the factual details of your case or doing any legal research and so may be in error as to either the facts or law. I am not your attorney and I am not giving a legal opinion by this answer.


Contact a personal injury attorney immediately. These types of cases are difficult to pursue on your own. They will set you up with medical care and most work on contingency fee basis meaning you pay nothing up front for the attorney or the doctor.


It is best, particularly in a slip and fall, to see an attorney sooner than later. It's important that photographs and witness statements be obtained before conditions and memories change.

Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice. It is merely intended to provide general information to aid the poster in finding answers to the problem posed. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. In most cases, it is best to contact an attorney directly to find answers to your problems.


Hire an attorney now. The attorney can wait until the appropriate time to file the action.

This comment is made as general information and is in no way to be considered legal advice. Attorney's making such comments have no information beyond the information provided in the question presented. Additional information is necessary before an attorney can give specific advice. Please seek legal counsel.



If that were not sufficiently emphatic: ABSOLUTELY!!!!

Slip and fall cases are among the hardest cases to prove. You need to start investigating the case as soon as possible. CCC surveillance recordings must be obtained. Witnesses must be identified and statements taken from them. Photographs of the scene as it existed at the time of the accident must be taken.

Be assured that the STORE already has an attorney and already has procedures in place for the preparation of its defense in prospective slip and fall lawsuits. You need a local attorney that will take the appropriate steps to protect your interests.

Good luck.

Final word -- insurance companies and defense lawyers typically adopt a mindset where "If you are hurt, you are seeing a doctor AND if you are not seeing a doctor this means you are not hurt". So, if you went to the ER and then weeks or months have gone by and you have not seen any medical care professional as more time goes by, it will be increasingly difficult to prove that you were injured or that the injury was caused by this fall.

This answer is for guidance only and is not intended nor does it create an attorney-client relationship.